The Hergiswil glass works has existed on Lake Lucerne since 1817. This was where the Siegwart brothers found a production site with ideal transport infrastructure for both energy and goods. In 1975 the glass works was on the verge of closing. It had missed the chance of installing new technology, and automated glass production abroad was forcing the owners out of competition.
The Glasi-Lüüt [Glass People], the Hergiswil council and above all Roberto Niederer saved the Glasi from closure. The traditional craft was rescued and linked to design ideas that are still effective today. Shortly before the death of Roberto Niederer, his son Robert Niederer became Managing Director of the Glasi in 1988. With more than 100 employees, he has kept the craft of glass going since then. The glass works has been completely renovated in recent years, and redesigned so as to make it friendly to visitors. The Glasi Museum illustrates the history of glass, and of the Glasi in particular, in an impressive three-dimensional presentation.